Did your sister/ daughter/ wife/ friend/ employee just had a baby? Are you struggling to come up with original gift, as it seems more and more obvious, she is flooded with hooded towels, organic cosmetic sets, personalized blankets etc?
Here are some (I wish someone would surprise me with if I just survived the PARTUS) :
- Book an amazing night maternity nurse for her for couple of nights a week- sleep is what new mum really craves and needs. To have professional to come and feed the baby at night (with expressed milk or formula) must feel like a dream come true. Long after the first weeks of motherhood will be over, she will still remember this great help. Not only sleep but lots of professional advice and answers to question she may have.
- Arrange a bespoke house cleaning service for her for couple of hours, for best effect of this surprise team up and arrange in secret with her husband, so he lets the cleaning crew in while new mum goes for medical checkup or some other planned out-from-home chore or trip. Just imagine the smile once she returns to tidy nest.
- This one is obvious but let me remind you: massage… for many reasons it maybe that the new mum feels she shouldn’t/ couldn’t book it for herself right now. She is so busy and constantly tired, that it would not even cross her mind. Gift like reflexology session, lymphodrenage, gentle professional relaxing massage targeted for body parts which need to release tension, is an angelic idea.
- Order in some regular ready super healthy meal’s delivery, juices for every day or even whole fresh menu… Make sure you know if she has any food allergies and also make sure the meals are tailored made for breastfeeding mums (low salt, low brassica, no diary and wheat.. you know what I mean (if you do not- read my little book “Go wild” just released on amazon)
- I am not affiliated to Vitamix (‘not yet’ my Jul would say) but such a huge fan, can’t omit and suggest- get her one if she doesn’t have it… she will use it a lot once time come to WEAN new baby, meanwhile fastest way to whizz fresh smoothies or make green juice to help heal and nourish her recovering body
- Some budget ones more like favors or (will feel like to her) huge acts of kindness – offer to baby sit or take baby for a walk, so she can rest or plan and do whatever she need. Get healthy snacks/ raw bars she likes or bag of fresh organic fruits and veg, rather than tempting her with sweets, as she is trying hard to stay away from those now. Soft new cozy slippers will be unexpected and useful gift. Her favorite coffee shop gift card.
- Nursing top and brass for milk expression – never enough of those, I would advise get couple of different ones, keep receipts and don’t feel bad return those not great fits after testing ‘fun fashion afternoon try on’ afternoon… She will be so grateful she didn’t have to go through it herself.
- Baby carrier … once again, no gain in it for me- just the good feeling that you get the best without having to try and test them all yourself. Baby Bjorn is what I would suggest. Start with cute and light, or the classic one. I promise to review these in future blog posts.
- Mummy and baby yoga class subscription.
- Date night certificate.
- Set of beautiful “Thank You cards” with stamps on envelopes – this way you’re step ahead of crowd, you will make her feel double special if the cards are great quality.
- Breastfeeding pillow
- Set of relaxing organic essential oils – makes great gift which will go a long way and remind new mum to stay in a moment, slow down and enjoy the deep breath in HERE NOW. Let me go in depth about some of these above “gifty” suggestion in my future posts.
Hurray to shopping !