Starting to taste and eat solid food…
Such an important time in the life a little human being.
Truly a milestone on its own.
I see it as a beautiful, exciting time of a baby’s life.
An adventure to be shared and celebrated, with lots of fun and laughter, cute expressive faces, and photos along the way.
One thing it shouldn’t be – is RUSHED!
The age of six months as a starting point is a golden rule.
Some babies are ready earlier, and in those cases one can proceed, but once again very gently and super
slowly when it comes to adding and introducing new foods.
To be exact – not more than one new fruit or vegetable every 3-4 days if starting before 6 months of age.
Volume is important too, start with 1 teaspoon at the very beginning. Always keep in mind- the size of a
baby’s “tummy” is as big as its closed fist, and we don’t want to expand it. That should be your guide.
Formula or breast milk will remain the main source of nutrition up to 12 months of age. ‘Introducing’
solids is exactly what it says. It is a gradual INTRODUCTION to a new taste and nutrient components
and compositions. It is LEARNING that there is a whole new way of getting ENERGY and BUILDING
ELEMENTS for growth of the body apart from what the baby knows since it was born (milk).
No need to worry that we have to cover every micro and macronutrient need with solids on a plate at this stage. We have to remember that the digestive system (lining of the gastrointestinal tract, digestive juices, healthy gut flora, etc) and immunity system are still evolving and maturing and it will be so for a long time, hence it is very fragile at this stage. The last thing we want is to overwhelm it.
I always say to new parents who are eager to proceed that the little one has a LIFETIME of gourmet
adventures AHEAD, we simply have no reason to rush
TAKING IT SLOWLY is the key.
*words above are an extract from my first book titled ‘GO WILD’
I definitely recommend getting a copy for those who are interested in a creative way to feed their baby and occasionally blend in and introduce little ‘unconventional’ plants. Read more about book content description in section ‘products’ on this blog or simply open author’s page on amazon of mine (Margo D Emerald)
Did you read different books about weaning? Do you have some baby food combos in mind? I mentioned aprox 80 of my own tips for baby food combination and list of couple of hundreds fruits and veggies in JOURNAL you can see bellow.
If planning ahead is your thing, check them out…
SOME LINKS TO amazon : green cover in USA https://amzn.to/3VL2DpY
pink cover in USA https://amzn.to/3uIrYoB
baby face on cover in UK: https://amzn.to/3iIlof7
cover with lemons in UK: https://amzn.to/3iIlC5X
IN CASE YOU WANT TO SEE ALL VERSIONS OF MY HARDCOVER 7×10 inch WEANING JOURNAL available in your corner of this beautiful world- please type in your search bar on amazon web page or app : MARGO D EMERALD JOURNAL. ( the inside content is the same, only the covers differ. 3 covers are matte and 6 are glossy. read the description in amazon store to make your choice )
The hardcover journal I made for all you new parents (or for the sweet and thoughtful gift bearers out there) this Christmas could be described as follows:
- practical 112 pages hardcover book with 2 pages dedicated each week for journaling the weaving journey (45 weeks)
- Plan weekly shopping and daily meals for baby
- Note down how the meals went, did the baby like them? Want to try again?
- This book also contains 80 examples of first baby meals and simple combos ideas from professional maternity nurse/nutritionist, passionate about the safe, healthy, balanced and clean way of nourishment
- Margo’s Chapter on useful information about ALLERGIES every parent should know about
- Wonderful (6 pages long) rich LIST OF FRUITS and VEGETABLES for your little gourmet foodie to experience
- Bonus – informative pages about Sprouting seeds and pulses
- PAGES IN JOURNAL are simple, and decorated with drawings of fruits and veggies. Mark the dates for each new week and fill the space for each day the way you want
- Weaning your baby is a momentous occasion and this keepsake diary is the perfect way to keep track of which foods you have introduced to your baby as well as the memories that come along with their first experiences of solid foods.
This Baby’s First Foods is a keepsake journal, food tracker and meal planner all wrapped up into one and would make a wonderful gift for a new mom.
Designed this version as Hardcover, considering the book may be kept for a very long time on your bookshelves.
PS1- For those who would prefer paperback to hardcover – spoiler allert – am already working on some. (hopefully in January 2023 will be published – keep an eye on my Instagram for an update on those
PS2- if you would like to have personalized Hardcover or Paperback Weaning Journal for your baby or your dear ones- feel free to send me a message- and we can chat about it- I will be able to create version for you with FOTO and the NAME of the baby on the cover
***flask I mention often in my instagram post about baby food preparation and combos is this http://